Teeth are made to fit together like pieces of a puzzle to allow you to chew properly. If the pieces don’t fit together in the correct alignment, they can’t do their job as effectively and it can quickly lead to other oral health issues. The mouth is the gateway to the body and is related to the aesthetics of your appearance, as well as the function of your bite, speech, airway, and overall physical and mental health. Let’s discuss the benefits to straight teeth that are more than just a pretty smile.
- Improved oral hygiene: Straight teeth are easier to clean and maintain. When teeth are crowded or misaligned, it can be difficult to properly brush and floss, which can lead to an increased risk of tooth decay and even gum disease and oral infections. Bacteria in the mouth can even lead to problems that affect your overall health such as diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and endocarditis. By aligning your teeth, you can more easily remove plaque and bacteria, which can lead to better oral hygiene and a lower risk of dental problems and infections.
- Reduced risk of dental problems: Straight teeth are less prone to dental problems such as tooth decay, gum disease, and even tooth loss. Teeth grinding can lead to worn-down teeth causing inflamed gums and even cracked teeth. By aligning your teeth, you can reduce your risk of these problems and enjoy better overall oral health.
- Improved bite function: Teeth that are properly aligned are able to function together more effectively, which can improve your bite and make it easier to chew your food. This can be especially beneficial for people who experience discomfort or difficulty when biting and chewing. Crooked or misaligned teeth can cause uneven pressure on the jaw, leading to pain and discomfort. This can cause neck, mouth, ear and face pain if left untreated. Straightening your teeth can help to alleviate this pressure and reduce the risk of jaw problems.
- Increased confidence: Many people feel self-conscious about their appearance, and crooked or misaligned teeth can be a source of embarrassment or low self-esteem. A smile is something to be proud of and is an essential tool in communication. Straightening your teeth can boost your confidence and help you feel more comfortable smiling and interacting with others both personally and professionally.
- Improved speech: Crooked or misaligned teeth can sometimes cause problems with speech, such as difficulty with certain sounds or lisping. By straightening your teeth, you may find that your speech improves, which can be beneficial in many aspects of your life.
Overall, straightening your teeth can have a number of systemic health benefits, including improved oral hygiene, improved bite function, increased confidence, improved speech, and a reduced risk of dental problems. It is important to realize that orthodontic treatment (such as braces or Invisalign) is not just for creating beautiful smiles but also for maintaining your dental function, health, and wellness.
Please call Storms and Swiderski Orthodontics at (479) 751-2003 if you have any questions about alignment of your teeth, braces, or Invisalign. We are proudly serving patients from Northwest Arkansas including Springdale, Fayetteville, Siloam Springs, Fort Smith, Rogers, Bentonville, Lowell, Cave Springs, Elm Springs, Tontitown, Elkins, Prairie Grove, Gentry, Goshen, Farmington, Oklahoma and more!